Saturday, September 6, 2014

Turkey Avocado Burgers

I'm (sadly) no fan of hamburgers. Suffice it to say, I had a bad experience as a kid. Since this is a food blog, I won't go into details. 

As an adult, I've always felt cheated. Burgers are cookouts, and birthday parties, and summertime, and so many lovely things that I'm too traumatized to enjoy. So, I found a work-around: The Turkey Avocado Burger. 



What you'll need:
  • 2 lbs. ground turkey (85/15)
  • 1 small onion, grated
  • 1 large garlic clove, grated
  • 1/2 tsp. ground corriander seed
  • 1/2 tsp. ground mustard seed
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 5 hamburger buns (something a little fancy)
  • 2 avocados, sliced
  • 10 (thin) slices gruyere cheese (1" x 2" slices)
  • 1 head butter lettuce
  • 1 large tomato
  • mayonnaise (optional)
  • butter (NOT optional)
How to make it:
  • Combine all ingredients, except the butter. Mix well, but don't over-mix!*
  • Make five (large) patties, and place on a hot griddle. [Each patty will be approx. 6.5 oz. and will be "loose." Eew. I know.]
  • Cook for 5-10 minutes on each side until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. (Only flip ONCE!)
  • During the last minute of cooking, place 2 slices of cheese on each burger. Remove from griddle when cheese is melted.
  • Butter the insides of the buns and lay them butter side down on the griddle; 20-30 seconds should do the trick.
  • Spread a thin layer of mayo on top and bottom of bun so everything stays in place.
  • Place patties on buns; top with avocado, lettuce, and tomato.
  • Serve hot!
*Over-mixing leads to tough burgers. Gross.

1 comment:

  1. When Wolfgang Puck had his restaurant in Buckhead some years ago, I liked his pepperoni cheese pizza, so I'll have to try this chicken pot pie one day soon! I do not eat pork or chicken any longer, so I'll just substitute it with turkey instead. (:

    ReplyDelete