Saturday, September 6, 2014

Don't Knock It 'Til You Try It!

Raw Brussels Sprouts. Yep, that's what I'm suggesting you eat. Believe it or not, they're delicious! I normally half them, throw them in a pan with salt, pepper, olive oil, onions, garlic, and some good ol' bacon. Then I bake them high and fast, finish them with a squeeze of lemon juice, and they're great! Well, one day I had them in the pan with just olive oil, salt and pepper, getting ready to add the other ingredients and thought, "What the heck?" And I ate one raw, and couldn't believe how good they were! So here's my new recipe for Raw Brussels Sprouts.

What you'll need:

  • 1 pound fresh Brussels Sprouts, quartered (trim the ends first)
  • 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
  • Juice from one large lemon
  • 1/2 t. Sriracha (any pepper sauce you like will do)
  • 1 t. salt (better make it a rounded teaspoon)
  • 1/2 t. ground black pepper
How to make it:
  • In a bowl with a lid, combine all of the ingredients, except the sprouts. Whisk them until they become a homogeneous mixture. 
  • Throw in the sprouts, put on the lid and shake it like a Polaroid picture. (The container, I mean. Or whatever you feel like shaking.)
  • Serve 'em up! Couldn't be easier! (The longer they sit in the dressing, the better they taste!)
Raw Brussels Sprouts

Pan-seared Brussels Sprouts


Now, if you still can't get past the fact that they're raw, cook them! I actually ate them both ways with the same dressing. After I cooked a chicken breast for dinner, I left the drippings in the pan and tossed in the remaining Brussels Sprouts. They were delicious! I ate the leftovers for lunch today, and I think they were even better the second day! Just try them. You'll like them.  

                                                                                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment